Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Calendar has stopped syncing Options
jacksoew
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 11:46:57 AM
Groups: Member

Hello,

At some point in the last week or two, my calendar has stopped syncing. I believe it stopped when you changed your authentication system and I had to go in and enter a code to get Astrasync to start working again. I am not sure that it ever did. I can't remember what version I had prior to that.

I upgraded Astrasync to v2.2.12, and again to v2.2.13, and it still does not work.

Symptom: New meeting events entered on my Outlook calendar are not showing up on my Blackberry.

Outlook = v2007, Phone = Blackberry Pearl, Carrier = Sprint.

Please look into this asap? I rely on my BB calendar, the whole reason I subscribed to your service was so I could stop having to do a nightly manual sync, but if your service doesn't provide a reliable sync, if I can't trust it, it's less than useful to me, it's actually counter-productive for me and it will have to go.

Incidentally, I would like it to yell at me, somehow, when the sync stops, for whatever reason. The current system requires me to just notice "hey, where is that one event? I could have sworn I had a meeting at that time..." and then I figure out it isn't syncing, for whatever reason, leaving me to wonder just how long that's been going on.

thank you,
Elliott
jacksoew
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 4:58:02 AM

As a follow-up, yesterday I enabled logging for a few hours - I gather the log file is created somewhere on your end, not mine? I couldn't find anything being created on my end.

I'm still hoping for some news, feedback, advice, anything really.

*taps microphone* "Is this thing on?"
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:12:23 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

Many thanks for the log file which we have received. Please can you confirm the name and date of a couple of events that you added to Outlook within the time frame yesterday that logging was running so that we can isolate these within the large log file we have received.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
jacksoew
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 7:58:44 AM

Yesterday I had created two events in Outlook:
"XXX", starting 2:30 pm eastern, duration 30 min
"YYY", starting 3:30 pm eastern, duration 30 min

I think I created those while logging was running, but may not have - I was mainly trying to force a sync while log was running, by selecting "sync now" and checking sync status, etc. I may not have done it correctly to generate a good log for you, if I did not please let me know and I'll regenerate a better one, just advise me what actions you would like me to attempt.

Additional info: This morning I tried to create an event on the phone (I never do that normally, I always create things in Outlook). This time I at least received an error message:

"Error:
cr: Failed to sync Calendar, server responded: Invalid sync key.

Suggested action to take is: reset collection in Sync Settings"

jacksoew
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 8:27:52 AM

Hrm. Yet another followon: I followed the advice in the above error message. I went to Sync Settings, turned OFF calendar syncing, and said "Ok" when it warned me it was going to erase all events on the handset. I turned the calendar syncing back on, and it now appears to be syncing correctly. I had been to that menu several times, but it had never occurred to me to try cycling the calendar sync off and on.

So, cycling the calendar sync off and on seems to have done the trick. Thank you for your offers of assistance, I seem to have finally figured it out.

Comments:

1. I would like to have a more active notification when the sync link fails, rather than relying on me to notice that events aren't syncing.

2. The hint that finally clued me in to how to fix it, I did not receive until I stumbled on it by trying something I normally don't do (edit/manipulate events from the handset rather than from outlook). It would have helped me to receive that message earlier, while trying to exercise the system in my normal pattern (edit/manipulate events from outlook). I exercised the system over the course of a couple of days, trying to get the sync reset, with no error messages at all, my events frustratingly just weren't showing up.