Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Content Protection enabled Options
gstockinger
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 2:27:55 AM
Groups: Member

I guess Content Protection in the Blackberry (encrypting the data on the handheld) is a No-No while using AstraSync - I had it enabled during installation and came up with a big mess.

First AstraSync produced a lot of error messages ('cause it seems it does not have access to the data anymore after locking the device) and later on it started overwriting my Exchange calendar with entries that just showed "content protection enabled" anymore - I lost some of my calendar data. On the handheld I had a similar problem - contact entries do no show any valid e-mail addresses, just the above information instead of the e-mail address.

I will now try to reinstall AstraSync with Content Protection on the Blackberry turned off, although this is no good option, because our company security policy demands encryption.

Any suggestion? If this feature is the problem, why is there no hint during installation? Would have been very valuable and spared me some time ...

Regards,
Gerald

gstockinger
Posted: Monday, February 16, 2009 5:43:46 AM

Maybe I forgot the question: Is Content Protection on the BB supported using AstraSync?

Thank you,
Gerald
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 10:52:32 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

AstraSync does not have support for Content Protection and should be disabled. This option encrypts data on the device, but having it enabled will give you problems with the sync of data, namely that you won't be able to view the data.
You can turn this option off. Under most devices go to BlackBerry Home screen, select Options > Security Options > General Settings and disable Content Protection.

You may need to reset the calendar, contact and email collections once you make this change. Resetting this will delete all the calendar and contact data from the phone. Once you setup the sync again, it will sync the data from the server.

To reset the collections go to Menu > Options > Sync Settings. Uncheck the option for each collection. Hit Menu > Save. You will now get a popup about data being deleted from the device. Hit Menu > Yes. Once the data is deleted, you can re-select collection options under Sync
Settings.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
Ontario_Science
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 10:01:57 AM

I have just had this happen on my bbBold 9700 running v5. What seems to have happened is the encryption prevented Astrasync from seeing the data and a "<Content Protection is enabled>" message was syncronized to the server callendar. After turning off the encryption, I believe that the server calendar, having different and newer data than the device, was syncronized back to the device, corrupting both copies fo the data. Now both the bb and the server have "<Content Protection is enabled>" in all fields that contained content in my calendar, except for the dates and times. Hopefully my backup is good.

Also, to turn off Content Protection on v5, I believe the menu items have now changed. Goto BlackBerry Home Screen, Select Options > Security Options > Encryption. Set Encryption to disabled. It's funny that the help file on v5 doesn't update this.
Antony Luong
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 10:41:40 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff, Member

Hello,

We have seen this issue once recently. Does it only effect recurring events?

Antony Luong
AstraSync Technical Support
www.astrasync.com
gstockinger
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2012 5:45:28 AM

Does Astra Sync support Content Protection on the BB by now?
This is basic security feature that I miss badly since I had to disable it because of Astra Sync.

Gerald
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2012 5:50:00 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

AstraSync does not have support for Content Protection and this should be disabled. This option encrypts data on the device and thus prevents AstraSync from being able to sync correctly.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com