Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Calendar sync deleted off of exchange Options
lost
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2008 3:45:24 PM
Groups: Member

I have been using the trial of the program with the Beta to sync to Exchange 2003. I have encountered a big problem though.

The sync for the calendar has been working fine, but it looks like it deleted all my appointments off of my exchange calendar. They are still on my BB calendar, but my calendar in exchange is now blank. I have a feeling it is the software because it deleted only the last month and any appointments going forward and I set up the calendar in astrasync to sync the last month.

Any ideas? I was about to purchase it, but this is a big problem for me. I can't imagine I did something, but who knows.
mike.henders
Posted: Saturday, December 6, 2008 4:57:29 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

Did you change your BlackBerry Internet Service account on the device?

Mike Henders
AstraSync Support
lost
Posted: Saturday, December 6, 2008 3:06:12 PM

Change in which way? Can you be more specific?
rory.fitzpatrick
Posted: Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:33:39 AM
Groups: AstraSync Staff

Did you delete and/or rename a BIS email account? This has particular significance on a device with OS 4.5 and above. What device and OS are you using? (Options > Advanced Options > About to find the OS version)

Rory Fitzpatrick
AstraSync Support
FAQ | Setup Instructions
lost
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 12:30:10 AM

I don't think any changes were made to the BIS. I currently have a BB Bold running OS 4.6. On another note, I was looking at all the settings and under Network Settings, there are 3 options: BIS, WAP, and TCP/IP. I am assuming I should keep it on BIS. Is there any reason to go WAP or TCP/IP?
cmichetti
Posted: Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:00:44 AM

One of our users reported something similar, a few calendar items were deleted from Outlook/Exchange after a sync in which they ended up on the Blackberry. 2.1.13
ytshaka
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:02:10 PM

I made a change to a BIS account and now the sync is stuck. It tries to delete appointments (log shows that) but it stays at synchronizing 209 entries for several hours. Is there any way to get out of this without completely deleting appointments?
=========
BB Curve 8310 OS 4.5
Exchange 2007
AstraSync 2.1.14

Code:
<HR>

BB Bold V4.6
Exchange 2007
mike.henders
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 6:32:41 PM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

Look at the debug log. You will likely see an error message that AstraSync has detected that a large number of events have disappeared from the device's default calendar and it has stopped the sync process.

When the BIS account is changed the default calendar on the device, as it is exposed to J2ME applications by the operating system, appears as if it has been emptied. AstraSync can't access the older calendar and it doesn't want to delete all the data on the Exchange server accidentally so it considers unusually large numbers of deletions as an error condition.

If you go into Sync options, uncheck the calendar, save the configuration, recheck the calendar, and then save it again then AstraSync should go to the server and pull down a fresh set of events into the device from the server.

If this is not the case then we'll need to investigate further.

Mike Henders
AstraSync Support
ytshaka
Posted: Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:29:56 PM

I tried re-setting calendar sync as you suggested. The result was a lot of duplicated entries in exchange. Here's what happens:
1. I clear calendar synchronization - all BB entries 2 weeks back and to the future are removed
2. At this point I have older appointments still on the device (from a different calendar account)
3. re-establish synchronization
4. All exchange entries get into the BB ok
5. Some of the older appointments get uploaded to the exchange server, duplicating existing data
5. I get a string of errors, ending with a NullPointerException (mail and contact sync are both disabled).

I tried to run this with debug mode and I see
* writing 26 client changes
* writing deleted record: 1482667318|2|NoData
* Rolling back changes
* java.lang.NullPointerException

UPDATE: After a few more repeats of the process I finally found the cause - I had a task with a due date and that somehow messed up the sync (I have the settings to show tasks in the calendar). I haven't been able to replicate it by adding a task now that the system is up, I will try to play with it a little more.

Code:
<HR>

BB Bold V4.6
Exchange 2007