Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Large number of contacts constantly produces message Options
kkeane
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:42:13 AM
Groups: Member

I'm setting up AstraSync (right now with the 7-day trial) for a client and found that it produces a warning about "A large number of contacts..." with every sync. My client has around 4300 contacts in her Exchange mailbox (at some point it was as many as 10000...)

The contacts seem to be syncing without a problem, I just keep getting this message.

Also the calendar never seems to sync. Just mentioning that in case it's related.
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:11:09 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

We generally recommend that users do not have more the 2000 contacts so you may face problems attempting to sync such a larger number. The BlackBerry device itself can only cope with so many so you may hit this limitation. If so you could try moving some contacts out of your default contact folder on the server so a subset is only synced to the BlackBerry.

However as you seem to have managed to get these all synced it would be useful to know the full error message. If it is saying that "AstraSync deleted a large number of contact deletions. Since this is likely an unintended result of removing a BIS account AstraSync will not perform the deletion. Turning calendar syncing off and on will re-sync items from the server." then please reset the collection as detailed here: http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1064

Please ensure that you take a backup first as this will delete all contacts and only resync those that are on the server.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
kkeane
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:08:41 AM

No, that wasn't the error message (I got this message about the calendar in a different context - posted that elsewhere). I can't reproduce the problem right now, but the message read something like "A large number of changes to Contacts was reported by the server. Syncing these changes could take several hours. Continue syncing Contacts?".

Unfortunately, telling the CEO of a major corporation that she has to delete half her contacts is not going to fly ;-( Maybe at some point it was a limitation in the Blackberry devices, but RIM must have upgraded the devices. Using BES, I have synced 10,000 contacts with no problem. I only need AstraSync because she wants to have two Blackberries on the same account.
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:13:05 AM

Thank you for the message details. It is true that syncing a large number of contacts like this will take a long time on the initial sync. If they really cannot deal with only syncing a small subset then to help I suggest to complete the initial sync:
1) You connect via Wifi
2) Set this initial sync to start and run overnight whilst the BlackBerry is plugged in on charge and left idle
3) Under Options > Performance Settings in AstraSync increase the Sync Window Size to 150.

Once the sync is complete please reset the window size to 50 once more.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
kkeane
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:18:41 PM

Thanks for your help! It seems to me that the BB is now syncing correctly - not sure yet.

I had used WiFi all along. I set the Sync Window Size to 150, but apparently AstraSync limits the transmissions to 100 regardless of what higher value you set. Still, it's reasonably fast - about 1200 contacts in about 20 minutes. Unfortunately, after that a text message came in and interrupted the sync process. When I went back into AstraSync, I got a message about "Server reported invalid synchronization key for collection contacts. Reset the collection to continue synchronizing.". I am currently resetting the collection contacts and start over. Hopefully that's a one-time-only problem.
kkeane
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:49:07 AM

Nope, it's still not working. Astrasync asks me about "syncing may take a long time". I respond "yes". The sync starts and seems to progress normally. But I can't leave the device unattended - when I do, I find that Astrasync has terminated, and sync will start over from the beginning; it does not pick up where it left off.

As long as I hold the device in my hand, this doesn't seem to happen (that's how I saw that it could sync 1200 contacts in 20 minutes), so I assume this is somehow related to the BB screen saver.
kkeane
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:39:33 AM

I just caught the problem "in the act" After syncing about 1500 contacts, AstraSync reports a stack overflow error (net.rim.vm.StackOverflowError)

I found another post about a similar issue. http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1682 that suggests resetting the collection (in this case probably the contacts collection). Unfortunately in my case this is a no-go. I've been trying to sync contacts for three days now, and starting over every time there is a problem with Astrasync is not going to work.
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 6:37:44 AM

The stackoverflow doesn't usually appear for the contacts collection therefore in order to see what is happening:

Please go to Options > Diagnostic Settings > Enable Diagnostics. Also tick use Wifi if you are connecting in this way at the time you do the testing. Sync again till you get your error in the Sync Status screen and then wait another 5 minutes. Please then go and turn diagnostics off.

Please then email support@astrasync.com with your username and domain from AstraSync together with your BlackBerry model and OS. Also include the stack trace from this syncing attempt: http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=790

The diagnostic log together with the stack trace should allow us to see in greater detail why this error is occurring.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com