Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Connection to wi-fi network failed Options
edwinvandavenhorst
Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:13:40 AM
Groups: Member

Astrasync does not allow me to sync through certain Wi-Fi networks although BIS is connected to the network and internet usage is possible.
The problems mainly exist on hotspot networks where a daily password is required and log-in is through an internet website.
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:38:00 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

AstraSync asks the BlackBerry for available connections and as such should be able to use a Wifi hotspot like you describe.

If after logging into the Wifi hotspot via a browser if you then return to AstraSync and go to Options > Network Settings > Detect Network this should then rescan the device for networks. Once complete are you then able to get AstraSync to perform a Sync Now?

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
edwinvandavenhorst
Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 11:43:28 PM

I tested the network settings and received the message that the connection to Wi-Fi failed, see screenshot1. As mentioned before, i'm connected to the BIS as you can see in attached screenshot2.

Screenshot1: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62006529@N02/5686489090/
Screenshot2: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62006529@N02/5685921603/
Anthony Vu
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:40:13 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff, Member

Hello,

Any particular reason why you're wanting to switch to the Wi-Fi network if your BIS network is stable? I've seen in some cases where some devices will not allow a third party application to work with a wi-fi that requires a secondary authentication (i.e. hotspot login). But in general, if you have chosen to use wifi, you don't have to detect the network. You should just be able to press sync now and have it connect to the wifi instantly.

Anthony Vu
Astrasync Technical Support
www,astrasync.com
edwinvandavenhorst
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:58:48 PM

I would like to use the Wi-Fi network as I'm abroad and don't want to be roaming :).
In terms of the third party application, i'm not sure I really understand what you are trying to say, but all I know is that I can't sync using astrasync. I can however receive e-mails liked to BIS which are thus not received through astrasync.

The network detect action was a follow-up from your colleague and that's why I took the snapshots, but I agree, in general I'll never have to do the network detect as I have 'wifi preferred' in my network settings.

Is there still anything you can do to help me use astrasync again?
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 5:08:10 AM

You should still be able to use the BIS connection when abroad to sync AstraSync although we do appreciate that roaming is sometimes expensive.

We are not sure the using a Wifi hotspot is possible within a third party application like AstraSync. Other than the inbuilt BlackBerry Browser do you have any other applications on the device that use the Internet in a similar manner like AstraSync that can work when connected to a hotspot?

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
edwinvandavenhorst
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:41:45 AM

All applications like twitter & linkedin are working, only one not working is astrasync. Are there any more suggestions to help me use Astrasync again?
edwinvandavenhorst
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 7:13:10 AM

Can you please let me know if you are still looking for a solution?
I have not been able to use Astrasync for over 3 weeks due to constant traveling and thus use of hotspot services.
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:34:53 AM

AstraSync simply asks the device for the possible networks available. As the Wifi hotspot is not 'shown' to AstraSync it is unable to connect via this method. Unfortunately there is not anything else we can do to get it to use this sort of network.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com