Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

newB Questions on syncing Options
dkeys23
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 2:44:36 PM
Groups: Member

I am new to a lot of this technology. I just got a Sprint blackberry curve 8530. I work at a company that uses Outlook 2003 with an exchange server, and does not support BES. I have downloaded the free trial of AstraSync and will have no issue with the fee if it does what I need it to do. However, I have a couple of quesitons:

1. During the install, astrasync selected the BIS server. Is that preferred over WAP? Not sure what either of these are, but the wizard showed WAP.

2. My contacts and calendar synced easily. However, it seems I can only sync email with items that happen to be in my network inbox before they move to my computer hard drive inbox. Is there a way to filter that through astrasync before it transfers to my hard drive?

3. If receive an email on my device (happened to be in network inbox), but don't forward or delete, or reply etc until after my exchange server has moved the message to my hard drive inbox, can I still forward, delete, reply, etc?

Any help would be appreciated. I wish I would have known that my company was no longer supporting the blackberry. If I can get this to work, it may be alright.

Thanks.
Daryl
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 5:39:48 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

dkeys23 wrote:

1. During the install, astrasync selected the BIS server. Is that preferred over WAP? Not sure what either of these are, but the wizard showed WAP.

During installation AstraSync detects what networks are available to use on your device. In your case it saw you had BIS and WAP. BIS is preferred over WAP. If you wish to alter which network you use please go to Options > Network Settings.

dkeys23 wrote:

2. My contacts and calendar synced easily. However, it seems I can only sync email with items that happen to be in my network inbox before they move to my computer hard drive inbox. Is there a way to filter that through astrasync before it transfers to my hard drive?

What you describe here sounds like a POP mailbox. To see the messages in the inbox within AstraSync these need to exist on the server. The POP mail account on your computer 'pops' these off the server to the hard drive. You should be able to change a setting in your computer mail client to 'keep items on the server', AstraSync will then be able to see them. Be warned however that if you have a quota that you may need to delete or move messages to your computer to prevent going over quota.

dkeys23 wrote:

3. If receive an email on my device (happened to be in network inbox), but don't forward or delete, or reply etc until after my exchange server has moved the message to my hard drive inbox, can I still forward, delete, reply, etc?

This is related to the same POP issue described above. As long as the message is on the server then you can reply, forward, delete etc from AstraSync or from your computer or from a webmail client.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
dkeys23
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:08:14 AM

Thank you for for the explinations Vicky. I talked to some of the people in our IT group and they mentioned the same on how the mail gets transferred from the server to my hard drive. It looks like the easy fix for that is if I am away from my computer while working (which I tend to do for hours at a time in meetings or in the lab), then I just need to close down Outlook so they don't transfer over. That sounds easy enough.

Now, that really leaves me with only 1 more issue. I keep getting these emails to my account network@etp11xx.etp.na.blackberry etc. I found something online that said it may have to do with the settings I selected on my Desktop Manager. The problem is, that before I installed AstraSync, I deleted Desktop Manager. Do you know what may be causing these emails to keep occuring? This isn't just 1 or 2, its more like 20 to 30 over the course of a day. Once I got the hang of the software, I am happy with the performance, but if this is a necessary side effect, I am not sure its worth it. Any ideas?
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 6:15:05 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

The BlackBerry messages that appear in the inbox, are caused by the BlackBerry redirector. The link below will guide you on how to resolve it:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04254&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=48598528&stateId=0%200%2023988909

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
dkeys23
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:56:00 PM

Thank you once again Vicky. It seems that issue has been resolved.