Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Calendar and Default Services Options
davan
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 8:29:46 AM
Groups: Member

I have a question about syncing the Calendar with Astrasync.

One of our employees has a blackberry with two person email accounts using BIS, and her work account using Astrasync.

We want to sync her calendar, however in Default Services we can only choose either of the two personal accounts. We want to have her work account be the default so any meetings she is sending are being sent from her work account.

Also, when viewing her calendar, we want to be able to select from the three different calendars, either the two personal calendars or the work calendar, but the only options are the two personal calendars (or default of course, which thus far has to be one of her personal accounts).

Am what I asking for here possible?
Ranald Lillie
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:27:50 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

Hello davan,

What you are asking may be possible.

AstraSync does not create a new calendar, but does allow for the selection of a specific existing calendar to be synced, the available calendars can be seen from AstraSync Options > Calendar Settings.
The calendars in the drop down list shoud correspond to the calendars you see in Default Services.

Different device's name the the Device Default calendar differently, this calendar may in fact be a seperate calendar to the two BIS calendars.

Syncing this with AstraSync, may provide the results you are looking for. However, I would advise caution, as it may result in mixing of the personal calendar events with the Exchange Calendar. It may be worth setting up a test Exchange account and connecting to that instead of the user's live account.

Before enabling calendar syncing with a BIS account present, I would strongly advise removing any CICAL service books that are on the device, to prevent any erroneous meeting invitations being issued. Please see this post for details:

http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1011

Thank you,

Ranald.

Ranald Lillie
AstraSync Support
davan
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:12:58 AM
Groups: Member

Thanks for the reply, Ranald. But I don't think this gets me anywhere.

If Astrasync doesn't create a new Calendar, then it has to sync with one of the existing Calendars. Correct? So since the only existing Calendars are the two personal accounts, we'll end up with work meetings in the same Calendar as personal items.

Does that make sense or am I misunderstanding something?
Ranald Lillie
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 7:06:03 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

Hello davan,

Unfortunately it may indeed be that this is a non-starter.

What I was trying to explain was that it may be that you have 3 calendars on the device rather than just two.

If when you look at the list of available calendars in AstraSync, if you only see the BIS accounts then you only have those two, however if you see the two BIS accounts and another called something like: 'Device Default' This may actually indicate a seperate third calendar that is neither of the BIS accounts. And it may be possible to use AstraSync with that calendar while preserving the other two calendars, as I outlined in my earlier post.

I hope this helps to clarify my post, the original reservations and precautions I mentioned still apply.

Thank you,

Ranald.

Ranald Lillie
AstraSync Support