Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

I just missed a meeting... Options
iamtim
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 7:58:25 AM
Groups: Member

...because AstraSync did not sync the meeting to my BlackBerry. :(

So perhaps I'm confused on how AstraSync and calendar syncing is supposed to work. Let me explain what happened, then what I thought should happen, then you can explain to me what the problem is or where I am misunderstanding the way it's supposed to work.

I am running a BlackBerry Bold 9000 with OS 4.6.0.297 and AstraSync 4.0.17 which I am using to sync my calendar and contacts only; I'm still using BIS for e-mail. I'm on an Exchange 2003 Server with Outlook 2007 on my desktop. I have the "sync meeting attendees" option on AstraSync turned off, and just for good measure I've also deleted the BIS CICAL service book.

A meeting request which contained copious notes and several attendees was sent to me, and subsequently accepted, on Outlook. The initial request was synced to my BB over AstraSync problem-free; as expected the notes were present but the attendees were not. Some time later the meeting was moved so an updated meeting request was sent to me and, again, accepted via Outlook. This updated meeting request was not synced to my BlackBerry; the initial meeting was deleted, but the updated meeting is nowhere to be found. I do not see an entry in the log which shows the meeting was not synced.

I understand that AstraSync does not sync changes to meetings with attendees, but I have "sync meeting attendees" turned off. Shouldn't it then ignore the attendees so that it can sync the meeting changes? Or am I misunderstanding this?
Ranald Lillie
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 5:01:04 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

Hello Tim,

I have just performed the steps that you described and the rescheduled meeting was correctly synced to the device.
I used Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2007.

With the ActiveSync protocol, the addition, removal and rescheduling of meetings is all done server side. The only information that is passed to the client is the final result, so in this case, the removal of the first meeting and the addition of the newly scheduled meeting.

Your understanding of changes to meetings with attendees is not quite correct.

If a meeting has attendees, whether these attendees are synced to the device or not, any changes made on the device will not be synced back to the server. This is because even though the attendees are not synced to the appointment on the device, the original appointment (server side) does still have attendees, and any changes made through the device's limited functionality (in comparison to Outlook) would still adversely affect all those attendees' calendars.

The above limitation does not apply to changes made server side. Changes to any event (irrespective of whether it has attendees) will always be synced to the device, provided these changes are in the future, or within the sync window (default is 2 weeks in the past).

Because of the limitation mentioned above, it is not possible that AstraSync made any changes to your Outlook Calendar in this case, as the events in question had attendees.

It may be that for some reason Outlook failed to reschedule the event correctly, although that seems unlikely.

Is it possible that you accepted the reschedule of the meeting on your device through the BIS account in the native email App, instead of in Outlook? The native application does not use the ActiveSync protocol and may have caused some unsual behaviour.

You say that the newly scheduled meeting is nowhere to be found, I assume you mean on the device. Are you able to see the newly scheduled time for the meeting in Outlook?

Ranald.

Ranald Lillie
AstraSync Support
iamtim
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 11:12:38 AM
Groups: Member

Ranald Lillie wrote:
If a meeting has attendees, whether these attendees are synced to the device or not, any changes made on the device will not be synced back to the server.

Ah, OK. So changes to meetings with attendees made on the server via Outlook should sync without problem. Got it.

Ranald Lillie wrote:
Is it possible that you accepted the reschedule of the meeting on your device through the BIS account in the native email App, instead of in Outlook?

While I assumed some odd functionality would result if I accepted meeting requests on the native BlackBerry application and have standardized on accepting all meetings and meeting changes through Outlook, I cannot say for certain that I did not accept the request on my BlackBerry. So that may, in fact, be the issue here.

Ranald Lillie wrote:
You say that the newly scheduled meeting is nowhere to be found, I assume you mean on the device. Are you able to see the newly scheduled time for the meeting in Outlook?

You are correct, I could not find the meeting on the device but I could see it at its new time in Outlook.

At this point, since I can't be certain it wasn't my own fault for accepting the scheduling change on the BlackBerry, I'm content to drop it. We have meeting reschedules frequently, however, so I'll make sure next time I accept the request through Outlook specifically and I'll post the results to this thread.

Thanks for responding. :)