Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Security Settings Issue Options
awcrane
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 7:11:27 AM
Groups: Member

Every time I startup AstraSync I get a series of alert messages pop up, some of which continue to pop up as the program communicates with my email server:

1. Upon startup: "The application AstraSync has attempted to modify user data. Would you like to allow this?"
How can I stop this message? I have adjusted application permissions but the message still comes up.

2. After clicking yes (twice) to get through the first message, this message pops up: "The application AstraSync has attempted to access webmail.xxx.com. Would you like to allow this?"
How can I stop this message?

3. The following message continues to pop up as long as I have AstraSync running: "You are attempting to establish a connection with a server whose security settings are weaker than your preference settings. Would you like to continue?"
I have installed the certificates from my server but this message continues to pop up and it is quite annoying. Is there a way to stop this message from popping up every time?
Ranald Lillie
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 4:18:08 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

Hi awcrane,

Points 1 and 2 are expected and are a function of AstraSync being an unsigned JAR, please see this post for further details:
http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1174

The reason you have to approve the modification of user data twice, is that the device offers this query once for the the Contact PIM List and once for the Calendar PIM List.

Point 3 is something that you will need to talk to your server admin about, the alert you are seeing is not coming from AstraSync, but from the device.

Ranald.

Ranald Lillie
AstraSync Support
Amit.Patel
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:36:08 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

With regards to Item 3:

This is likely occurring because the SSL certificate on the server has a private key of less than 1024 bits. This is considered a weak certificate by today’s standards and one that can be easily broken.

To work around the issue on the BlackBerry device look under Options > Security Options > WTLS. Set "Encryption Strength' to 'Allow Weak'.

To fully resolve the issue, the Server administrator should update the certificate on the server to one with a key of more than 1024 bits. Many certificate vendors these days only sell certificates with private keys of 2048.

Regards

Amit Patel
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com