Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Work Calendar resent through Personal mail :( Options
OngL
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 1:25:21 AM
Groups: Member

I had begun my trial of AstraSync yesterday and seems email had been working just fine. I expanded today with Contacts and Calendar. Contacts seems again to work fine.

When it came to synchronizing calendar, I had horrifying moments. It seems the calendar entries from my work exchange account are being copied to my Blackberry, then somehow, those meeting invitation get resent to all invitees using my default email which is my personal email address.

My colleagues are now getting re-invited to past meeting events using my personal email address....

I have read this:
http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=printtopic&t=1011

But I didn't mention anything about this except duplicate entries. I had emptied my Blackberry devices before enabling sync.

1) Is the article about to prevent the problem that I had?
2) How was it possible that a received event be resent using default email service?
3) I deleted all CICAL from email but left with two - A desktop redirector CICAL and Facebook. Do I need to erase those as well?
4) What is the CICAL for gmail is needed anyway? It can't sync without googlesync
OngL
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 3:09:51 AM

I cleared calendar sync (disable), all entries in device are removed. So does the in laptop, all calendar entries are empty. Enabled sync and start creating one entry in device and another in laptop.

Entry from laptop are synced to device but not the one from device to laptop. It works only one way.. any idea?
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:55:32 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

OngL wrote:
1) Is the article about to prevent the problem that I had?

Yes, deleting the CICAL service books will prevent the problem that you saw.
OngL wrote:

2) How was it possible that a received event be resent using default email service?

As AstraSync now syncs the attendees to meeting events this is what is causing your BIS email account to 'think' that it needs to send out meeting invitations.
OngL wrote:

3) I deleted all CICAL from email but left with two - A desktop redirector CICAL and Facebook. Do I need to erase those as well?

Yes. We recommend that you delete all CICAL service books.
OngL wrote:
4) What is the CICAL for gmail is needed anyway? It can't sync without googlesync

The CICAL service books are used to sync data between your phone and other accounts e.g gmail

As you are now experiencing issues with the calendar sync I would recommend that you follow the following steps and then repeat your testing of events.

- Stop syncing the calendar through AstraSync by deselecting this under Sync Settings. Press Yes so that all the calendar items are removed from your device.
- Go and delete all the CICAL service books on the device.
- Perform a soft reset (remove the battery, wait 10 seconds, replace the battery).
- Go back to AstraSync and under Sync Setting re-enable the calendar sync.

Please let us know how you get on.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
OngL
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:58:55 AM

Deleting all CICAL resolved the problem. At least I didn't see or get replied of any past event resent.

There is an interesting situation now. I have 331 events in outlook. AstraSync seems always stuck at the last portion of sync i.e. Sync Calendar 0 out of 45. It never completed for the whole night.

Are there unsupported event types from AstraSync? I can't find out what is missing but how do we force that 45 remaining event to be synchronized?

Lastly, Why there isn't any HTML mail support in AstraSync?
OngL
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:41:40 PM

I got 45 entries can't be synchronized and increasing. This is the error message after a power cycle

Error:
ma: Server reported Invalid Synchronization key for collection Calendar. Reset Collection to continue synchronizing.
Ranald Lillie
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:06:36 AM

OngL,

To reset the calendar collection, go to Options > Sync Settings then deselect the collection, save and confirm the deletion of the items on your device. Go to the Sync Status screen and wait untill the collection has been removed. Return to Options and re-enable the collection.
Ensure you are not connected to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager at the time of the deletions.

Ranald.

Ranald Lillie
AstraSync Support
ScaldedDog
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:04:08 PM

Facebook is the devil. For some reason, its CICAL will reappear without warning, and the problem will start all over again. I finally just deleted the whole app.

Mark
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:42:34 AM

Mark, Many thanks for letting us know. We are currently looking at other ways to avoid this issue with the CICAL service books and it is likely that newer releases of AstraSync will deal with this differently. All details will be as always posted to the forum.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
Steve66
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 7:06:44 AM

It seems like the 'feature' of sending calendar invitations has the potential to cause some pretty serious issues. While I realize the intent and good reason for having that feature, is there/will there be a way to tell AstraSync not to send any invitations at all? I know none of my users are looking for this feature and, if it has the possibility of causing problems, we'd like to just not enable that feature. Could it be an option? Thanks.

Steve
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2009 7:20:55 AM

We are looking to introduce a change into the next release of AstraSync so that you can decide if meeting attendees are synced or not. This therefore in turn will stop AstraSync causing other applications with CICAL service books from sending out the meeting invitations that have caused issues with some of our beta testers. Full details on the change will be posted to the forum in due course.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
jswede
Posted: Thursday, August 6, 2009 8:52:19 PM

I too experienced this issue with the final release of 3.1. Astrasync did not document the removal of the CICAL service books in the installation instructions for 3.1. This is a very big deal. I work with all of the upper management of my company and they received confusing invites from my phone's email address. This needs to be patched immediatly so that it will not happen regardless of configuration options.
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2009 4:41:51 AM

If you installed the beta that synced attendees to meetings and then installed the released version of AstraSync 3.1 on top of it then it would have maintained the setting to sync attendees.

If you had upgraded from 3.0.18 to 3.1 or done a new install of 3.1 then the syncing of attendees will not have been enabled by default. The problem you have experienced is an unfortunate side effect of the upgrade path you have chosen and is why we advise that the beta is not used on live data without a backup.

The removal of CICAL service books was documented for the beta releases, if you had followed this then you should not have had a problem installing the production release.

Should you wish to sync attendees then please see the details here: http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1155

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
jswede
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2009 6:15:52 AM

I did not ever install the betas. I installed 3.1 final from 3.0. When I saw the feature to sync attendees I tried it and my calendar got sent out through my device email address. You are right, the CICAL was documented for the beta releases, but not the final releases.

There needs to be a warning within the software about this danger, not just details within the forum. Honestly, as a quality engineer, I would have never allowed the new version to be released with a feature functioning like this. Good software design involves understanding how the user will utilize the software and building in checks to ensure that catastophic unintended events such as this do not happen.
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Friday, August 7, 2009 6:27:16 AM

Above the sync attendees option it says within AstraSync the following as a warning to the user.

"Before enabling the following option please be certain that you have removed all CICAL service books from your device. See http://forum.astrasync.com for more information."

We will look at perhaps enhancing this warning in future versions.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com