Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Advances in Calendar Sync? Options
Kevin Mackin
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 3:20:27 PM
Groups: Member

Hey all - first post here. I've recently migrated from many years on a Windows Mobile device to a Blackberry Curve with AstraSync version 3.0.18. Email platform is MS Outlook 2003 with SP3 and OWA. I'm not a casual Blackberry user in that I have 5 - 8 meetings a day, 150+ emails daily, and lots of fluidity in my schedule.

I didn't have a great experience with the previous version of AstraSync with syncing my Calendar and want to know if the issues below are still outstanding before I go back to using AstraSync to sync my Calendar. The issues caused me to move back to syncing the Calendar with the Blackberry Desktop Manager and lots of pain for my meeting participants. Here were the issues identified:

1. Recurring meetings spanning daylight savings time changes. Meetings were an hour off after the upcoming daylight savings time change.
2. Meeting participants removed from meetings (recurring meetings only?). Couldn't notify meeting participants that a meeting was moved or cancelled via Outlook or BB because they weren’t on the meeting planner anymore. Very embarrassing to ask them to manually remove the meeting because my BB screwed up the meeting planner (and not a good plug for a BB device in the sea of MS Devices).
3. Duplicate meetings when a meeting was updated. Not consistent but frequent. Which meeting is right?
4. Meetings not being removed on the BB when it was removed from Outlook. Not consistent but frequent.

From the above list of issues one can understand why I'm gun shy about jumping back in to syncing my Calendar OTA. Have any of these been resolved? Is there an AstraSync development roadmap that shows when these will be resolved?
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 5:02:16 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

Kevin Mackin wrote:
1. Recurring meetings spanning daylight savings time changes. Meetings were an hour off after the upcoming daylight savings time change.

We haven't had anyone report problems with this apart from one post where the user didn't respond so we are unsure of the outcome. http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=595 or you could try the suggestion in http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=641 as well.
Kevin Mackin wrote:

2. Meeting participants removed from meetings (recurring meetings only?). Couldn't notify meeting participants that a meeting was moved or cancelled via Outlook or BB because they weren’t on the meeting planner anymore. Very embarrassing to ask them to manually remove the meeting because my BB screwed up the meeting planner (and not a good plug for a BB device in the sea of MS Devices).

AstraSync 3.1 beta will now sync attendees to meetings on your BlackBerry device. Please see http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1028 for more details on how to upgrade.
Kevin Mackin wrote:

3. Duplicate meetings when a meeting was updated. Not consistent but frequent. Which meeting is right?

AstraSync 3.1 beta includes changes for meetings to prevent duplication. Depending on how the meeting was amended you may still see a duplicate. E.g If the change was an exception to a series. See below.

"This release also changes the behaviour in relation to exceptions to the meeting. Should there be an exception to the series (E.g one meeting out of a set of three occurs in a different location) this will be seen as one event on the server and in Outlook rather than the two you were previously seeing. The BlackBerry device however will show two events, one for the original and one for the exception."
Kevin Mackin wrote:

4. Meetings not being removed on the BB when it was removed from Outlook. Not consistent but frequent.

We haven't had any reports of this issue. If you are able to upgrade to the beta and then can reproduce this issue please let us know and we can help you to gather some logs.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
Kevin Mackin
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 7:19:42 AM
Groups: Member

Thanks for the info. I'll upgrade and report back on progress. As a Software Project Manager, changing an occurance of a recurring meeting happens frequently (think executive status meetings!).