Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

I am confused - with this Announcement - please clarify! Options
dbakerstl
Posted: Thursday, July 9, 2009 11:59:14 AM
Groups: Member

All of our AS users get the email VIA BIS and sync contacts and calendars, what is going on here? Why do we now have to delete the CICAL service book? I am concerned as to what will happen when my users upgrade to 3.0.19 - is there going to be issues?

I am currently on 3.0.18 - is everything going to get screwed up with 3.0.19?

I work in a k-12 environment, and everyone with their BBs are not on campus and will not be for a while, how can I remedy any issue that will happen with this upgrade? What is the reasoning for this? Will we be able to sync multiple calendars?

Do I even have to worry about this?

Thanks,

Dan

http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1011

Using a BIS email account and AstraSync to sync Calendars

This document applies to AstraSync 3.0.19 and later

Setup BIS Email accounts before installing AstraSync

If you plan to use a BIS Email account (gmail, aol, yahoo, etc.) on your BlackBerry device and also use your AstraSync Email account (in particular syncing calendars), then please follow these instructions.

Prior to setting up AstraSync failing to set up the BIS Email account first will result in problems with calendar synchronization. If you do not plan to sync Calendars then this is not applicable to you.

Set up the BIS Email account if you have not done so already.
Wait between 30 to 60 minutes so that the device can receive the service books.
Delete the CICAL Service Book before installing/setting up AstraSync:

To Delete the CICAL Service Books:

1.From the device Home screen, select Options > Advanced Options > Service Book.
2.Scroll through to locate any item that ends with [CICAL] (there may be more than one) and delete them by selecting Delete from the popup menu.
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2009 7:34:36 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

AstraSync 3.0.19 and later (including the beta release) now will sync attendees to meeting events. To avoid duplication of calendar events you therefore need to delete the CICAL service books before upgrading. A failure to do this will result in duplicated events and possibly unwanted invitations being sent out to attendees of existing meetings.

If you are using BIS for your email e.g gmail and AstraSync to sync your calendar and contacts then you will need to delete your CICAL service books before upgrading.

Should someone upgrade and fail to delete the service books to correct the situation you will need to first remove any duplicates manually then:
-Take a backup of their calendar.
- Stop syncing the Calendar. This is done under Menu > Options > Sync Settings. Unselect Calendar, then hit Menu > Save. This will remove calendar items from your device.
- Delete ALL the CICAL service books.
- Perform a soft reset (remove the battery, wait 10 seconds, replace the battery).
- Resume the syncing of Calendar. This is done under Menu > Options > Sync Settings. Select Calendar, then hit Menu > Save.

Multiple Calendars
What will happen here will depend on a number of factors including what other application you are using e.g gmail and whether this calendar uses the default calendar on your phone or not.

Due to the range of other applications available we have not tested these all out. We would therefore advise you if you have multiple calendars then to take a backup of these before upgrading. After upgrading should you then experience any issues please let us know.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
dbakerstl
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 9:19:58 AM

"Multiple Calendars
What will happen here will depend on a number of factors including what other application you are using e.g gmail and whether this calendar uses the default calendar on your phone or not."

I actually ment - will Astrasync support syncing of multiple calendars? If you have a couple of calendars you need synced from exchange etc, I know active sync allows syncing of multiple calendars, will astrasync?
dbakerstl
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 9:26:58 AM

Ok I have followed these steps, and now my calendar is GONE! But where do I get 3.0.19? I can only find 3.0.18, and enabling cal sync, does not seem to put my events back in my calendar (though it says its synced 41 items...).
I would like my calendar back...

-Dan
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2009 9:51:12 AM

AstraSync will sync only one calendar to your phone from Exchange. It cannot sync multiple calendars from Exchange. It will sync your default Exchange calendar to the default calendar on your device.

The beta 3.1 release is available. Please see http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1028 for more details. Our latest release of 3.0 is 3.0.18. This doesn't require you to delete the CICAL service books whereas the beta does. With the release of the beta further 3.0 builds are not yet available.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
dbakerstl
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:39:59 AM

Thanks, I got the beta, and downloaded it, and everything seems to sync now... But I think this change is going to be a real pain for me... Also it is confusing in the above article it states 3.0.19, but it seems that this version will never come to light - should this not be changed to read 3.1x versions and above.
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 9:07:30 AM

Thanks for your comments. We have altered the post to make it clearer that this also applies to the AstraSync 3.1 beta release.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
Steve66
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:40:50 PM

Can you make the removal of the CICAL service books something that happens automatically when someone upgrades from an older version? My organization uses AstraSync to sync their calendars and contacts with FirstClass, but email is handled outside of AstraSync (via a BIS account and redirect rules in FirstClass). Does the removal of the CICAL service books apply to us?
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2009 4:17:38 AM

Unfortunately it is not possible for us to make the removal of the CICAL books automatic when upgrading or installing AstraSync. This is due to the same reasons as those explained in http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=959

As you are handling email through a BIS account then the removal of service books will apply to you.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com