Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Missing Exchange Folders Options
calroma
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 9:51:00 AM
Groups: Member

Greetings: I am the new owner of a Blackberry Bold 9700. I discovered that this device will not handle subfolders in Exchange. I have downloaded and installed the trial version of AstraSync and I am quite impressed. After working through the setup (etc.), however, not all of my Exchange subfolders are visible. Admittedly, I have a lot (about 50).

I have searched the forum and noted that some others have had this same problem. I have updated folders, and deselected and reselected the folder sync, and followed all the instructions and suggestions given to others to no avail. I saw that someone else had this exact same problem recently, but the thread ended and I never saw a resolution posted, although the problem would appear to have something to do with the number of folders and possibly an age issue.

I travel a lot internationally and rely upon my handheld to keep my in touch with people and situations all over the world 24/7 when - as is often the case - I do not have an Internet connection for my laptop. Thus, any assistance would be greatly apppreciated; plus, I am sure that others likely have a smilar problem or that this will help someone else searching in the future.

Great product! I am looking forward to a resolution.
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:15:45 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

Please can you let us know some more details about your problem so that we can try to assist. Are you trying to sync all 50 folders or only a smaller sub section? It is probably the vast number of emails within these folders that is the problem as the BlackBerry device may be unable to cope with too many.

What Exchange version are you connecting to? Does AstraSync fail to sync some or all the folders or just partial content of the folders? If you look at the Sync Status screen do you see any errors when trying to sync problem folders?

If you can do the following test for us this should generate some logs that we can look at:
-Remove all folders apart from the Inbox, Draft, Outbox from AstraSync.
-Go to Options > Diagnostic Settings and Enable Diagnostics. Save
-Go back to Folders and select all that you wish to sync
-Go to the Sync Status screen and wait for this to finish or for an error to appear
-Go back then and disable diagnostics.

Please then let us know you have done this by sending an email to support@astrasync.com referencing this forum post together with your BlackBerry OS version, username and domain from AstraSync so that we can locate your file.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
calroma
Posted: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:48:22 AM
Groups: Member

Hi Vicky:

Thanks.

I am using Outlook 2007, and attempting to sync all 50 (or so) folders. I had noted the missing folders in question do contain a lot of mail. Nonetheless, it seems to me that the folders should at least show (no?), even if their contents cannot be loaded. My (really) old device running Windows Mobile, for example, loaded the folders but only the internal contents that were within the parameters set by the date retention settings. I understand that not all systems are alike. I just offer that as a potential counter-argument (or something). I am not being critical, ok?

AstraSync works ok with the folders that are showing if I sync each one individually. No untoward error messages with the folders that I can see.

I will perform the diagnostics and forward the results.

Quick question: How does one delete the folders? I do not see this option anywhere.

Thanks again!
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 1:25:41 AM

Please let us know once you have been able to complete the diagnostics. It would also be good to know the names of the folders that fail to sync so that we can locate these in the logs easier.

To delete folders go to Folders > Manage Folders and untick those you wish to remove then choose menu and save.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
Amit.Patel
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 12:28:45 PM

This issue was resolved.

The Exchange server was sending the 'missing folders' as 'Type 1'. AstraSync only supports displaying folders of 'Type 12'.

According to the ActiveSync Spec:

Type 1 is defined as 'user-created folder (generic)'
Type 12 is defined as 'User create mail folder'

The solution for the customer was to create some new folders. These folders then showed up in AstraSync. The customer will manually move the emails from the folders that do not show up into the newly created folder.

AstraSync doesn’t control the ‘Type’ of a given folder, this is something which is controlled by the server.

Regards

Amit Patel
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com