Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

BlackBerry 8350i and Menu Not Visible in AstraSync Options
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:53:08 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

BlackBerry 8350i and Menu Issues in AstraSync

Background

There is a known problem relating to AstraSync menus not displaying correctly on the BlackBerry 8350i device. This has been identified as a device/OS issue. This issue affects AstraSync 3.x and later which implements a redesigned email inbox UI.

You can replicate the same issue in the native BlackBerry settings when changing the device font. From Options > Screen/Keyboard, you can select different fonts. As the font selection is changed the example text of "Quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog” renders top of the menu choices. This issue also affects AstraSync. The device is re-drawing the screen on top of the menu options.

This is an OS issue which appears to be related to a transparency setting in the default theme on the 8350i. This issue is also a problem for other applications such as Opera Mini.

Solution

There is a possible workaround for this issue which should allow users to see the menus and use AstraSync on 8350i devices.

Attached to this post is a zip file containing a BlackBerry theme written by a third party. This theme is very similar to the Zen (Sprint) theme with a change to the menu color so the transparency issue does not occur.

This then allows the menu in AstraSync, Opera Mini and other affected third party applications to be rendered correctly.

This theme is created by a third party and so we are unable to adjust this and do NOT provide support on it. We recommend users take a backup of their device before installing.

Known Issues

Changes to the system font size are not reflected in the menu. This cannot be altered. It will default to use 9pt.

Install Procedure

-Save the zip file attached to this post to your computer.
-Unzip this folder. It will contain two files.
-Extract both files (make sure they are in the same location)
-Connect your BlackBerry to your computer via Desktop Manager.
-Backup your device.
-From the Main Menu click on Application Loader > Add/Remove Applications > Start > Browse to the location where you have unzipped these files to and select the .ALX
-Scroll down and make sure that the theme you downloaded has a check mark next to it and that under 'Action' it says install. Click Next then Finish.
-Your BlackBerry should now reboot. Once rebooted go to Options > Theme and select the one you have just installed.

NB: The theme can only be installed through the Desktop Manager and not OTA.

File Attachment(s):
8350i_Menu_Theme.zip (20kb) downloaded 383 time(s).

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com