Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

3.0.6 Does not work with 8350I Options
Stephen
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 9:20:04 AM
Groups: Member

The beta will not sync, and the menu disapears from the sreen.

No Go.
jmegna
Posted: Friday, March 27, 2009 2:31:04 PM

My 8350i synchronizes with Exchange 2003 without any errors, and the wifi-preferred setting works as advertised. Timed sync works for both peak and off-peak. Push email also works. I cannot repro the sync problem Stephen is experiencing.

However, I do have a similar problem with the menu disappearing. The only way I can get the menu to re-appear is to take the battery out and put it back in. After that, the menu key will show all menu items once more. As you pass your selector over each item, it will disappear once again. The menu is still functional, however. For example, I can press the menu key, press o, and then press the ball to get the Options menu. I can also do the menu key, press s, and press the ball to force a sync. The up/down selector also still seems to function. If I press the menu key, press s, and then use the ball to roll down what I think is one menu selection, I can bring up the sync status menu. Finally, from the Options menu for example, the menu key works fine. It just seems to be from the main email view that the menu turns invisible.

AstraSync 3.0.6
BlackBerry 4.6.1.128 (Platform 3.0.0.62)
Exchange 2003 with sp2 + hotfixes
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Monday, March 30, 2009 4:45:59 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

Many thanks for your reports. We are investigating this and will let you know how we get on in due course.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
magnolia@dls.net
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:56:24 PM

I am also having a similar problem with the 8350i and losing the menu option for AstraSync. Sometimes, the users can power off and power the unit back on and it appears. I have not had them remove the battery yet.

AstraSync v 2.2.13
Exchange 2003 SP2 & updates
BlackBerry Curve 8350i
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 5:18:45 AM

Please can one of the user help us gather some reproductions steps for this problem as we have been unable so far to reproduce the problem on a 8350i emulator. Please post your reply on this thread.

Can you first perform a hard reboot (remove battery) of the phone. Next load up AstraSync. From this point on please can you give us detailed exact step by step description of what you do to force the menu to disappear.
e.g Load the inbox, Open an email by pressing x key etc
Please can you also let us know how long after the reboot the menu first disappears as this too is important.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
jmegna
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 8:55:34 AM

Hi Vicky!

Well it's pretty easy to reproduce but I'm fearful that I'll articulate what I'm doing in a way that doesn't make sense. I'm kind of a bb noob so I don't know the terminology too well. So, I made a video of the issue from another blackberry! I'm sending it to Astrasync Support right now. The video is about 7MB and is a little over two minutes long.

Thanks,

James
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 11:29:36 AM

Many thanks James for a great video. I have passed that over to the Engineers to take a look at and will update this post as soon as we have any progress on this issue.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
magnolia@dls.net
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 1:54:18 PM

Hi Vicky,
I thought about this issue this morning and have noticed that the icon stays in the Downloads folder. It seems that there might be an issue with "Moving" the icon to the Home Page that it might "lose" it's way at times. I have one of my users that 'lost' her icon and when I had her look in the Download folder - there it was and we 'moved' it to the home page again. Unfortunately, I do not have a BB so that I cannot test this for you. Is there a 'Copy' function that would let me have a copy or shortcut of the icon on the homepage so that it doesn't get lost?

Just a thought. Think I'm a BB nubie as well and might not use the correct terminology.

Debbie
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2009 10:46:30 AM

Other than 'Moving' the icon and effectively the application I do not know that it is possible to create shortcuts on BlackBerry phones. Maybe some other users hae seen this problem before or have more ideas.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 5:33:22 AM

James and others, Unfortunately the problems with the menu disappearing appear to be a device issue and as such is not something that we are able to fix.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
police@warminsterpa.org
Posted: Monday, April 13, 2009 9:44:10 AM

I do not know if this is the same problem, but I loaded astra sync and the emails did sync, but then I can not reply or compose an email. I hit the menu button as on other models of blackberries and nothing comes up, I do not see it at all. Any ideas?
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:04:59 AM

This is the same issue as the others report in that the menu is not working correctly. If you downgrade to 2.2.13 of AstraSync then the menu should function correctly.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:09:43 AM

There has been however two software updates for the Nextel 8350i: 4.6.1.128 and 4.6.1.204. We do not have access to a physical 8350i device and as such are unable to test out this new OS's to see if they do contain a fix for this problem with the menu not displaying.

If any user with this specific device is willing to try out these for us that would be very helpful. Please let us know how it goes.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
magnolia@dls.net
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:19:58 PM

My customers are now having issues with the 8350i with the menu disappearing.

I have a test phone which has v4.6.1.204 and I just upgraded to your 3.0.?? (menu doesn't work so I can't see the version). It appears to sync, but when I click into the AstraSync Icon, I am not able to get the menu to appear.

It appears to also be a problem with your 2.? version as well.

Please let me know what needs to be done because my customer is getting quite upset. They are a landscaping firm and they are relying quite heavily on these devices.

Additionally, if I remove the battery to reboot, that does not help.
Ben Cwilewicz
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:04:19 AM

Hi

As stated here and in a number of other posts on the forum, this is a bug in the OS for 8350i BlackBerry devices.

We cannot 'fix' or work around the issue as the problem is with the RIM OS and not AstraSync. Until RIM release a fix AstraSync version 2.2.16 is available for OTA and desktop installation here: www.astrasync.com/dwlv2 This release does not have the issue with the Menu.
tbowe
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:27:39 AM

I have 3 blackberry 8350i's in production for my employees, and they were PROMPTED to upgrade
to the new 3.016 version, which we are ALSO having the same issue with the Menu Disappearing.

People cannot Reply to a message, forward a message, or even Change their Account password
to continue to sync once password expires.

I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED in this application now - i do NOT believe this is a simple incompatibility
with the Device since the prior version(s) menu worked fine. I think that is a lame excuse because
you can't fix your product, and another Excuse that you don't have an 8350i to test with....GO BUY ONE!!!

Terrible Support....Terrible App....will NOT be recommending this app to Blackberry users who do
not want to deal with Setting up the Blackberry Enterprise/Professional software. Will advise to use
Blackberry's software...it will work even if it is a headache to get up and running initially.

Ben Cwilewicz
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2009 10:10:46 AM

Hi,

As stated earlier this is a device bug. It only appears in version 3.0 as we have moved to a different rendering system to produce the improved email client look and feel.

You can replicate the same issue in the native BlackBerry settings when changing the device font. As you select the fonts from the menu you will see the "Quick brown fox" font example render on top of the menu choices. This is the same thing that is happening wth the AstraSync client. The device is re-drawing the screen on top of the menu options - This is an OS bug and it appears to be specific to the 8350i.

Until BlackBerry fix this issue which has been pointed out to them we have made version 2 available for over the air download at www.astrasync.com/dwlv2. You should only be prompted to upgrade once per version number change, simply ignore the update prompt and continue to use v2. Any fix released by RIM will be posted here.

Having a example of every model of device BlackBerry make is unfortunately not a realistic option, due to the sheer number of devices, networks and other combinations that are available.

jmegna
Posted: Friday, June 12, 2009 12:46:52 PM

Hey everyone;

To build on Ben's comments, I thought it would be best to point this out:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&thread.id=48701

Look at the second post. Roryf quipped that Opera Mini has the exact same anomaly on the 8350i, so it's definitely a systemic issue with the phone and not the application itself. I really think that concerned parties should post a reply to that thread on BlackBerry's forum if they want to see progress. Research in Motion is the only entity that can fix this, and they have not responded to the initial complaint yet. It might help if more people stepped up and said, "Yep, I have this problem too."

To Vicky's comments: from my experience, both 4.6.1.128 and 4.6.1.204 are affected by this bug. I am using .204 presently.

Thanks everyone,

James
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:57:35 AM

We are pleased to announce that a workaround has been identified to allow users with 8350i devices to see menus in AstraSync 3.x. For more information please see http://forum.astrasync.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&m=3842

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com