Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

What deletes what? Options
yzharovsky
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 9:48:54 AM
Groups: Member

Ok so I made a new contact on the server. It sync(ed) to the BB.
I then delete it on the BB, however it did not delete it on the server.
Should it have deleted it in both places?

I am using FirstClass mail server and the BB curve

Cheers
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:30:56 AM
Groups: Administration , AstraSync Staff

Deletions whether from the BB or from the server should be reflected upon the other device. FirstClass originally did not support the deletion of contacts from the BB. This has now been included within the FirstClass FCSS v9.1 B19 revision. Please check your version numbers of FirstClass.

I believe that to enable the deletions to work that you need to make a change within the preferences tab for the associated device. FirstClass should be able to provide you with details on how to do this.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
yzharovsky
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:42:31 AM

Hi Vicky
We are running 9.1 B18
However there is no where in FC does it say that I am talking to AstraSync and does not give me any options to configure it.

Cheers
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:47:26 AM

I have some instructions from testing this out which you can follow:
"Once you log into your account open the Preferences tabs from the top menu (or in Edit\Preferences). The preferences have a sub-tab Handheld Devices. Open them and you should see 4 tabs for configuring up to 4 devices. Note that once the device starts to sync FCSS looks for its config tab based on the unique id. If it does not find it, it will look for an empty tab and will automatically enter all relevant information and will mark the tab as Active (taken). Let you BB sync first so that it registers itself - then look for its tab and adjust the "Device can delete" option check box"

I hope that helps

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
yzharovsky
Posted: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:58:10 AM

Thats exactly what happens with SyncJE however with Astra this does not occur, it does not pickup any new devices at all. I can send you the screen shots but all 4 tabs are empty, thus I am unable to control Astra.

Cheers
Ben Cwilewicz
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 5:15:25 AM

Hi,

Please upgrade to 9.1 B19 and see if that resolves your problem.
MNelms
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 8:30:51 AM

You'll also need to update your client.
The option does not appear in version 9.106.
I can confirm it is in version 9.124.
yzharovsky
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:01:36 PM

http://www.firstclass.com/Divisions/FAV13-0024FC95/?Plugin=FC&OpenItemURL=S047C50E4
There is no client 9.124 on the FC site just yet.

I will upgrade to build19 but I am not sure that will fix it.
I do think that its the client version, although 9.124 is pre-release

Can some one confirm having empty tabs on B18 vs B19.

Cheers
yzharovsky
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 2:02:09 PM

No No No!

Ok we are now running FCSync Build19 and I have the new FC 9.124 client, although the tabs did show up in version 9.106 and 9.124 is not in full release yet.

The product still does not work as it should!
I am unable to delete calendar items on the BB and have it removed on the server.
Item deleted on BB, then sync, nothing changes on the server, the item on the BB is gone.
Sync again, the BB gets the item which was just deleted, because the item was still on the server.

The tab settings are set to "Keep device changes, discard FC changes"
I have tried it under all the different settings (3 of them) and none of them will delete the items on the server via BB.

Any ideas???

Cheers
Vicky Cwilewicz
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 3:55:48 AM

Please contact FirstClass as they should be able to assist you with their client and setting this up to allow deletions.

Vicky Cwilewicz
AstraSync Support
www.astrasync.com
yzharovsky
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 9:48:27 AM

Already did.
FC is saying they are not aware of support in B19 for deletions from the BB to the servers.

Cheers
bwinther
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 11:36:47 AM

I'm running FCSS B19 and there definitely is not an option for deleting from the BB to the server. In addition, I can confirm that 9.124 is definitely not available for download. If this is a beta, it is only available to those within the beta testing group. FCSS B19 is ok for a broad beta release and thus admins should be able to get it from their firstclass resellers or support contacts. When will this work???
yzharovsky
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2009 11:48:47 AM

Just spoke with FC Support
You CAN NOT delete items on the BB and have it affect the server. There is no support for this feature.

Also B20 is out!!!

FC comes out with a new build almost everyday.

Thank you for everyone help
Cheers
Steve66
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2009 7:23:39 PM

This does work. The ability to sync calendar and contact deletions from the BlackBerry to FirstClass requires both a version of the FirstClass Sync Server that supports this and a version of the FirstClass client that shows the option in the preferences screen. As far as I know, both the Sync Server and client are both beta releases and not available to the general public. I can confirm that the combination of sync server 9.1 build 20 and the 9.124 client does work. You may be able to contact FirstClass' tech support and request access to these versions...I don't know and I don't work for them.
yzharovsky
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 10:20:41 AM

Steve
Thank you for underlining the word "does".

I will check out version 9.124 again.
Thank you for the screen-shot.

Cheers
Steve66
Posted: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 12:53:41 PM

If you don't see those checkboxes in the FirstClass client, try flushing the client's cache of forms: in the login screen, click on "Setup" and then click on "Flush Cache" (you can't be logged into the server when you do this). Here is the online help's description of that button:
Quote:
Flush Cache button
Only available when you aren't connected to the server.
Clears resources such as forms and icons from your settings file.
This forces FirstClass to download these resources to your settings file again as they are needed. Do this when resources have been updated on the server.
yzharovsky
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 9:51:57 AM

Hi Steve
You are absolutely correct, the FC 9.124 does have those check boxes, as per your screen-shot, for deletion and its good to know abou flushing the cache.

I wonder if there is an ambiguity; there is already an option to ignore changes from the BB and then there is this check box that says allow for deletions from the BB.

Cheers
Steve66
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2009 10:04:18 AM

yzharovsky wrote:
I wonder if there is an ambiguity; there is already an option to ignore changes from the BB and then there is this check box that says allow for deletions from the BB.

I think you're referring the 'Conflict resolution policy', which is completely different. That setting controls the action to take if an entry changes on both the server and the client during a synchronization. A conflict caused by an entry changing on both the server and the device is different than allowing the device to delete an entry on the server.

FYI, the reason the "device can delete" option was not available initially is because it can have a devastating impact if not used correctly. If someone decides that they don't need all their contacts on the BlackBerry and deletes them, and has this option turned on, they'll all be removed from FirstClass. This might not be what the person intended to do, so the original release of synchronizations services didn't allow the device to delete anything from the server.